Avocado and Bacon Pasta Salad
April 12, 2019
We're really excited to have partnered with Chantal Cookware to bring you a series of recipes using their innovative cookware range and our premium ingredients.
Chantal Corporation is a Houston based cookware company that began in 1971 by German-born engineer, Heida Thurlow. Chantal was the first cookware company to bring dramatic colors, tempered glass lids and stay-cool handles to American kitchens and Heida has received numerous design awards and utility patents for her innovative tea kettles and cookware lines.
Heida and I met at the Houston Culinary Guild for Texas women in the food industry and have been enjoying talking business and food as well as personally using each other's products.
Today, we're in the Chantal test kitchen, cooking up an Avocado and Bacon Pasta Salad. It's light, flavorful and perfect for summer BBQs and picnics.
Ingredients and Tools:
8 slices bacon
4 tablespoons of J&P Avocado Oil
1 cup red onion
1 tablespoon of minced garlic
8 oz dried pasta (we used bow tie pasta which looks so pretty!)
1/2 red bell pepper
2 tablespoons of green scallions
3 fresh basil leaves
1 & 1/2 cups feta cheese
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
Chantal Enamel-on-Steel Sauté Pan (3 Qt.)
Chantal ID21 Saucepan with Pour Spout and Strainer (2.5 Qt.)
How to make the salad
Fry the bacon until crispy and transfer it to a plate with a towel to absorb the excess oil. Give it 5 minutes to cool so it can be broken into bite sized pieces.
Tip the excess bacon grease from the pan and pour in a tablespoon of avocado oil. Avocado oil is particularly good for high heat cooking because it has a high smoke point.
Sauté chopped red onions and garlic until translucent. Take off the heat and set aside.
Add a teaspoon of salt, 1/2 tablespoon avocado oil and 2 quarts water to the saucepan, add the pasta and cook until al dente (approximately 8 - 10 minutes)
While the pasta is cooking, chop the avocados in chunks and squeeze half a lemon over them. Roughly chop the bell pepper, scallions, feta and basil.
Drain the pasta (which is really easy in Chantal's saucepan with the strainer and spout) and tip the pasta on top of the onion and garlic in the sauté pan.
Add the avocados and other remaining chopped ingredients to the pasta and onion mixture. Top with a touch of red wine vinegar and salt and pepper and stir to combine.
Another awesome thing about this pan is you can take the whole pan out to the table for serving and it looks great!
This simple dish is sure to be a family favorite this summer
About the Kiwi Importer
Based in Richmond Texas, the Kiwi Importer provides the US market with New Zealand gourmet delights such as Manuka honey, Rangihoua Olive Oil, Zealong Organic Tea, Kaitaia Fire hot sauce, Jenny's Kitchen Tamarind Chutney, Wild Country Marmalatas, Gault's Ketchups, Tio Pablo Azteca Chocolate, Sway Gluten Free Pancake Mix, Heilala Vanilla and more.
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
- Hot Cross Buns
- How to Make an Epic Cheese or Charcuterie Board
- Celebrating International Chef's Day with Our Favorite Fall Recipes
- Honoring my Mum
- The 5 Best Iced Tea Recipes for Summer
- 5 Tips For Choosing A Healthy Breakfast Cereal
- 12 Nutty Ways to Eat Peanut Butter
- Onion Balsamic and Goat's Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- Avocado and Bacon Pasta Salad
- 10 Easy Recipes for Gluten Free Baking
- A Culinary Tour of New Zealand
- Where to Eat Like a New Zealander in the USA
- Tea History and Health Benefits
- Manuka Honey Skin Care 101
- 7 Things To Know Before You Get A Sports Massage
- Everything You Need to Know About Where The Best Coffee Beans Are Grown
- The Eco-Friendly Alternative to Plastic Wrap
- 7 Great Ways To Eat Pears This Fall
- Changing Seasons, Salad and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Healthy Summer Recipes
- Father's Day Gift Guide
- 7 manuka honey elixir recipes
- Fabulous Foodie Gifts for Mom
- Haraaz Yemeni Coffee Review
- Zealong's New Super Tea Blends
- Cool Stuff About Hot Sauce
- The Art and Science of Tea Picking and Processing at Zealong Tea Estate
- Houston Restaurant Weeks Raised Over $2 Million for The Houston Food Bank
- 9 Natural Remedies to Get You Through the Sniffle Season
- 7 Easy Festive Cocktails and Mocktails
- Still Looking For That Perfect Gift?
- Food and Gratitude: 3 Awesome Vanilla Cranberry Sauce Recipes
- Why Belixir Manuka Honey is the Best Honey for Tea
- 9 Times When You Should Use Ground Vanilla Powder Instead of Vanilla Extract
- Zealong Tea Now Available in The USA: Read Why Zealong Tea is the World's Purest Tea
- 9 healthy coconut oil recipes
- 6 reasons hot sauce is good for your health
- 11 recipes that prove vanilla is just as good savory as it is sweet
- What water does for your wine
- Why honey is on the top most fraudulent foods list
- Are you game? Warning: proceed with caution
- My 41 favorite uses for virgin coconut oil
- Have fun with your kids in the kitchen this summer (and an awesome kid-friendly banana bread recipe)
- Nature is our business (and what the people at Tahi Honey are doing about that)
- The difference between vanilla essence and vanilla extract (and how to make your own at home)
- The surprising worst and best throat lozenge ingredients
- 7 wonders from the Heilala Vanilla Plantation
- 7 researched benefits of manuka honey
- 4 out of 5 jars of manuka honey are fake