7 manuka honey elixir recipes
May 18, 2017
When it comes to healthy elixirs and tonics, honey is often on the ingredients list. Not only is raw honey a delicious natural sweetener but it has lots of health benefits too. It's a natural antibiotic (especially manuka honey) and both the World Health Organization and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommend honey as a natural cough remedy. According to Dr Ron Fessenden, honey is the most ideal fuel for our bodies to repair while we sleep and the special 1:1 ratio of fructose and glucose helps the body regulate blood sugar levels.
Honey, Lemon and Ginger Elixir - a natural cold remedy
Honey, lemon and ginger is a classic combination that's great for soothing throats, calming coughs and general well being. Slice two medium sized lemons and a 1/4 of a ginger root and layer into a mason jar. Top off with manuka drinking honey. Put on the lid and store in the refrigerator. As needed, use 1 - 2 tbsp of your elixir in warm water. I found this recipe on Don't Mess With Mama.
Spiced Coconut Honey Butter - a healthy spread
This wonderful spread is something I came across last year at a Beekeepers Association Meeting. The local beekeeper who makes this delectable spread shared the recipe with me. Blend a cup of coconut oil, 1/2 cup honey, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp of both salt and nutmeg and 1/4 tsp of both all spice and ground cloves. It takes about a minute to mix together. We spread it on toast but it would be amazing in hot cereal too.
Golden Milk - the healing tea
Golden Milk, or turmeric tea is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and ability to help alleviate respiratory issues - it also makes a great pre-bedtime drink. Warm 2 cups of coconut milk in a pan, mix in 1/2 tsp turmeric, pinch of black pepper, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp nutmeg and and cloves, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract and 2 tbsp manuka drinking honey. Stir well, pour into cups and enjoy! This version is from Coconut Mama.
Honey and Cinnamon - a morning tonic
Honey is nourishing particularly for the liver, and cinnamon has a regulatory ability on blood sugar. These two super ingredients combined are said to be great for helping move stubborn belly fat. In a cup of hot water add 1 tsp cinnamon, 2 tbsp manuka drinking honey and a squeeze of lemon. This recipe is from Organic Olivia.
Medicinal Herbal Honey - home made natural medicine
Making your own medicine with honey is really easy as shown here on Cauldrons and Crockpots. Chop the herbs of your choice and stuff them in a sterilized mason jar. Pour in brandy until the jar is half full and top the remainder of the jar up with honey. When full with honey (you may need to let it settle and come back to it again) pop the lid on and leave it somewhere cool and dark for four weeks giving it a shake every couple of days to mix the brandy and honey. When its done, hang a cheese cloth over another jar and strain out the herbs. Use 5 mls at a time. Herb choices may include ginger as a stomach soother, sage to calm nerves and thyme is great for coughs and fever reducing.
Green Smoothie - breakfast in a glass
Green smoothies are a nutritious and energy boosting way to start the day. Add avocado to make your smoothie creamy and filling. This smoothie is so delicious with the sweetness of the pineapple and the honey even the kids love this. Put in your blender, a cup of water, 1/2 an avo, 2 cups spinach, 2 cups pineapple and blend until smooth. Add a tablespoon of honey and blend again. I found this recipe at Natasha's Kitchen.
Honey and Apple Cider Vinegar - a simple detox recipe
Healthy and Natural World have put together a heap of information about the long list of benefits of honey and apple cider vinegar (ACV) here. To make a honey / ACV elixir, mix together a teaspoon of raw honey with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in 8 oz of water and drink on an empty stomach about half an hour before you eat. A word of warning, apple cider vinegar may reduce bone density so, especially us ladies or those with a family history of osteoporosis should be limiting their ACV intake. It's also highly acidic so it can weaken your tooth enamel. Drinking this mix with a straw and rinsing your mouth out with water will help combat the latter.
Disclaimer: The content of this blog post and the wider site, is for general information purposes only and does not constitute, nor does it intend to constitute medical diagnosis or treatment or other professional advice. You should seek prompt medical care for any health issues and consult your doctor before using alternative medicine or making a change to your regime.
- Hot Cross Buns
- How to Make an Epic Cheese or Charcuterie Board
- Celebrating International Chef's Day with Our Favorite Fall Recipes
- Honoring my Mum
- The 5 Best Iced Tea Recipes for Summer
- 5 Tips For Choosing A Healthy Breakfast Cereal
- 12 Nutty Ways to Eat Peanut Butter
- Onion Balsamic and Goat's Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- Avocado and Bacon Pasta Salad
- 10 Easy Recipes for Gluten Free Baking
- A Culinary Tour of New Zealand
- Where to Eat Like a New Zealander in the USA
- Tea History and Health Benefits
- Manuka Honey Skin Care 101
- 7 Things To Know Before You Get A Sports Massage
- Everything You Need to Know About Where The Best Coffee Beans Are Grown
- The Eco-Friendly Alternative to Plastic Wrap
- 7 Great Ways To Eat Pears This Fall
- Changing Seasons, Salad and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Healthy Summer Recipes
- Father's Day Gift Guide
- 7 manuka honey elixir recipes
- Fabulous Foodie Gifts for Mom
- Haraaz Yemeni Coffee Review
- Zealong's New Super Tea Blends
- Cool Stuff About Hot Sauce
- The Art and Science of Tea Picking and Processing at Zealong Tea Estate
- Houston Restaurant Weeks Raised Over $2 Million for The Houston Food Bank
- 9 Natural Remedies to Get You Through the Sniffle Season
- 7 Easy Festive Cocktails and Mocktails
- Still Looking For That Perfect Gift?
- Food and Gratitude: 3 Awesome Vanilla Cranberry Sauce Recipes
- Why Belixir Manuka Honey is the Best Honey for Tea
- 9 Times When You Should Use Ground Vanilla Powder Instead of Vanilla Extract
- Zealong Tea Now Available in The USA: Read Why Zealong Tea is the World's Purest Tea
- 9 healthy coconut oil recipes
- 6 reasons hot sauce is good for your health
- 11 recipes that prove vanilla is just as good savory as it is sweet
- What water does for your wine
- Why honey is on the top most fraudulent foods list
- Are you game? Warning: proceed with caution
- My 41 favorite uses for virgin coconut oil
- Have fun with your kids in the kitchen this summer (and an awesome kid-friendly banana bread recipe)
- Nature is our business (and what the people at Tahi Honey are doing about that)
- The difference between vanilla essence and vanilla extract (and how to make your own at home)
- The surprising worst and best throat lozenge ingredients
- 7 wonders from the Heilala Vanilla Plantation
- 7 researched benefits of manuka honey
- 4 out of 5 jars of manuka honey are fake