Have fun with your kids in the kitchen this summer (and an awesome kid-friendly banana bread recipe)
July 05, 2016
Summer is here and Moms all over America are going crazy devising ways of keeping the kids entertained. Getting the kids in the kitchen has been a winning summer activity in our house. The kids love it, and so do I. It seems to be the one place where they happily work as a team. My (almost) grade 1 daughter practices her reading, wooden spoon pointed at the lines of the recipe book and my 4 year old son is becoming a pro at cracking eggs! My kids learn about measurements and patience (half an hour in the over is FOREVER when you're a kid) and I love that they both take enormous pride in slicing up the end result. So far, everything has been more than edible so I call that a win!
A new family kitchen concoction has become banana bread. It’s quick and simple, uses up those over-ripe bananas and is a fantastic picnic treat.
This recipe has been adapted from a New Zealand cook book author from my childhood, Mary Pat Fergus. Any kiwi kid of my generation is sure to have owned one of her cook books and my kids love them just as much as I did.
- 50g butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I recommend Heilala Vanilla Extract)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 mashed ripe bananas
- Turn oven to 350F and grease tin
- Gently soften butter in a hot water bath and add sugar, egg and Heilala vanilla extract
- Mix well with a wooden spoon until smooth
- Sift in flour, baking powder and soda – but don’t stir yet!
- Add milk and mashed banana and stir until it’s just mixed
- Spread evenly in tin and bake for 30 minutes
Heilala grows organic Bourbon variety vanilla beans which are cured by hand for maximum vanillin production. The extract is batch brewed in stainless steel vats where diced vanilla beans are carefully soaked in cold water and alcohol. This unique cold extract, slow percolation method draws out the delicate aromatics and sweet, creamy and complex flavors of the high quality Heilala beans.
Heilala Vanilla Extract is one of the only sugar-free extracts on the USA. This quality, authentic extract is vegan since the ethanol used in the Heilala Vanilla extraction process is produced via a distillation process that removes all trace of dairy; it's kosher, gluten free, allergen free, organically grown and True Pacific certified.
Most importantly it's free of chemicals and synthetic imitation flavors found in vanilla essence and vanilla flavoring. If you’re not sure about the difference between vanilla extract and vanilla essence, or imitation vanilla this is a good read: The difference between vanilla essence and vanilla extract (and how to your your own at home)
Heilala Vanilla extract comes in 50ml glass bottles and they have recently launched their new line of flavor infused extracts.
Happy summer baking (and eating!) everyone.
- How to Make an Epic Cheese or Charcuterie Board
- Celebrating International Chef's Day with Our Favorite Fall Recipes
- Honoring my Mum
- The 5 Best Iced Tea Recipes for Summer
- 5 Tips For Choosing A Healthy Breakfast Cereal
- 12 Nutty Ways to Eat Peanut Butter
- Onion Balsamic and Goat's Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- Avocado and Bacon Pasta Salad
- 10 Easy Recipes for Gluten Free Baking
- A Culinary Tour of New Zealand
- Where to Eat Like a New Zealander in the USA
- Tea History and Health Benefits
- Manuka Honey Skin Care 101
- 7 Things To Know Before You Get A Sports Massage
- Everything You Need to Know About Where The Best Coffee Beans Are Grown
- The Eco-Friendly Alternative to Plastic Wrap
- 7 Great Ways To Eat Pears This Fall
- Changing Seasons, Salad and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Healthy Summer Recipes
- Father's Day Gift Guide
- 7 manuka honey elixir recipes
- Fabulous Foodie Gifts for Mom
- Haraaz Yemeni Coffee Review
- Zealong's New Super Tea Blends
- Cool Stuff About Hot Sauce
- The Art and Science of Tea Picking and Processing at Zealong Tea Estate
- Houston Restaurant Weeks Raised Over $2 Million for The Houston Food Bank
- 9 Natural Remedies to Get You Through the Sniffle Season
- 7 Easy Festive Cocktails and Mocktails
- Still Looking For That Perfect Gift?
- Food and Gratitude: 3 Awesome Vanilla Cranberry Sauce Recipes
- Why Belixir Manuka Honey is the Best Honey for Tea
- 9 Times When You Should Use Ground Vanilla Powder Instead of Vanilla Extract
- Zealong Tea Now Available in The USA: Read Why Zealong Tea is the World's Purest Tea
- 9 healthy coconut oil recipes
- 6 reasons hot sauce is good for your health
- 11 recipes that prove vanilla is just as good savory as it is sweet
- What water does for your wine
- Why honey is on the top most fraudulent foods list
- Are you game? Warning: proceed with caution
- My 41 favorite uses for virgin coconut oil
- Have fun with your kids in the kitchen this summer (and an awesome kid-friendly banana bread recipe)
- Nature is our business (and what the people at Tahi Honey are doing about that)
- The difference between vanilla essence and vanilla extract (and how to make your own at home)
- The surprising worst and best throat lozenge ingredients
- 7 wonders from the Heilala Vanilla Plantation
- 7 researched benefits of manuka honey
- 4 out of 5 jars of manuka honey are fake