10 Easy Recipes for Gluten Free Baking
February 15, 2019
We love making weekend pancakes, waffles and pikelets (what we call silver dollar pancakes in New Zealand) using Sway gluten-free baking mixes because their delicious flavor combinations have made Sunday morning breakfast gourmet eating!
Beyond weekend brunch, we always keep a packet or two in the cupboard because the mixes are so versatile to use to quickly whip up delicious (and gluten-free) cakes, cobblers, galettes, pies, tarts and loaves too.
Here are our 10 favorite easy recipes for creating gourmet gluten-free goodies beyond pancakes and waffles.
Simple Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
Whipping up a moist, gluten-free chocolate cake any day of the week doesn’t get easier or quicker than this.
Tip a packet of the Sway Chocolate Orange Muffin Mix in a big bowl. Make according to the packet adding two mashed ripe bananas, a half cup of plain yogurt and a pinch of baking powder.
Pour into a cake or loaf tin and bake at 300 F for about 50 minutes. Allow to cool before removing from the pan.
Apple Galette With an Orange Cinnamon Crust
Open tarts are our new favorite thing and this rustic apple galette made with the Orange and Cinnamon Pancake and Waffle Mix is amazing.
Simply add 3 tablespoons of milk and 10 tablespoons of cold butter to the dry waffle mix. Process in a mixer until it just comes together into a dough ball (try not to mix too much). Wrap in cling wrap and cool in the fridge for half an hour.
Roll out on a counter sprinkled with rice flour. Fill with chopped apples leaving an inch around the sides to fold up around the apple. Sprinkle with sugar and bake at 350 F for about half an hour (until the apples are cooked and the crust is golden brown)
Green Apple and Peach Crumble
Core and dice 4 green apples. Into a pot put a cup water, ½ cup lemon juice, 2 tbsp of sugar and a pinch of salt. Bring to boil then turn down the heat, cover, and simmer for a few minutes. Add 2 cups of soft peaches to the apples and cook for a further 2 minutes. Pour fruit into colander and leave to drain.
Using the Lemon Mix, add 1 tsp of dried ginger and 125 gram of cold butter. Rub the butter through the dry mix with your hands until the butter is completely blended in.
Pour fruit in the bottom of a greased oven dish and top with the lemon crumble mix. Bake in a 350 F oven for 20 – 25 minutes until the top browns and the fruit bubbles to the top. Eat warm with ice cream or yogurt.
Pumpkin Ginger Loaf
In a large bowl mix ½ c vegetable oil, 2 eggs, 1/3 c water, ½ can pumpkin puree, 2 tbsp maple syrup and 1 tbsp molasses.
In a separate bowl mix the Orange and Cinnamon Waffle Mix, 1 tsp ginger, ½ tsp allspice and ½ tsp clove.
Add the dry mix to the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly. Pour in a greased loaf pan and bake for about 30 minutes at 350 F.
Let cool completely before removing from the pan.
Grease a baking dish and cover the bottom with fruit. A tin of cherries (drained) and a cup of frozen blueberries work well; or if they’re in season, cut 10-12 medium sized plums in half, remove the stone and cover the bottom of a baking dish.
Bake at 350 F for about 30 minutes until the top is brown and a knife comes out clean.
Simply add 3 tablespoons of milk and 10 tablespoons of cold butter to the Orange and Cinnamon Waffle Mix. Process in a mixer quickly until it just comes together into a dough ball. Wrap in cling wrap and cool in the fridge for half an hour.
Sprinkle rice flour on the kitchen counter and roll out dough. Cut dough into strips and fill with brown sugar and roll into scrolls.
Bake for 20 minutes at 350F. Allow to cool and finish with frosting.
Tip the Orange and Cinnamon Pancake Mix into a food processor with 200g cold and diced butter and pulse until mixed and crumbly. Still on pulse slowly add iced water (1/2 to ¾ cup) until dough starts to form. Remove from the food processor and gather into a ball (do not over work the dough). Wrap in plastic wrap and keep in the fridge for at least an hour.
Sprinkle rice flour on a clean kitchen counter and roll ¾ of the dough into the shape of your oven dish. Lightly grease the dish and line with the rolled dough.
Fill the pastry with pie filling of your choice. Use the remaining dough to decorate the pie top by weaving strips or cut shapes.
Bake at 350 F for about 30 minutes until the top is brown.
Fried Apple Slices
Of course topping pancakes with fresh fruit and nuts, or popping fruit into the batter before cooking is always a great way to use these mixes but this is another take.
Core apples and cut into discs. Dip the slices in the Sway Pikelet and Waffle batter and fry until the batter is golden brown.
Stack 'em high and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Very Berry Muffins
The Pikelet / Waffle Mixes can also be used to make muffins just by using a little less milk in the mix. Yogurt is a great alternative for the milk if you would like a denser option.
Have fun with the flavors by filling the muffin tins half way, adding a spoonful of jelly and topping off with more batter.
Another simple idea is pop a blackberry into the top of the batter before baking.
A sprinkle of Vanilla Sugar on top before baking is also divine!
Gluten Free Chocolate Waffles
Our Chocolate Orange Muffin Mix is also easily converted into waffle batter just by adding a little bit of extra milk.
These chocolate waffles are incredible topped with berries and coconut or sliced banana and slivered almonds.
How to make gluten-free vegan goodies
Sway gluten-free baking mixes are also suitable for dairy-free and vegan lifestyles just with substituting the added ingredients for plant-based alternatives. Replace eggs with silken tofu, applesauce, chia seeds or egg replacement. Oat and almond milks are a great milk option for dairy-free and vegan cooking.
About the Kiwi Importer
Based in Richmond Texas, the Kiwi Importer provides the US market with New Zealand gourmet delights such as Manuka honey, Rangihoua Olive Oil, Zealong Organic Tea, Kaitaia Fire hot sauce, Jenny's Kitchen Tamarind Chutney, Wild Country Jam, Tio Pablo Azteca Chocolate and Heilala Vanilla.
- How to Make an Epic Cheese or Charcuterie Board
- Celebrating International Chef's Day with Our Favorite Fall Recipes
- Honoring my Mum
- The 5 Best Iced Tea Recipes for Summer
- 5 Tips For Choosing A Healthy Breakfast Cereal
- 12 Nutty Ways to Eat Peanut Butter
- Onion Balsamic and Goat's Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- Avocado and Bacon Pasta Salad
- 10 Easy Recipes for Gluten Free Baking
- A Culinary Tour of New Zealand
- Where to Eat Like a New Zealander in the USA
- Tea History and Health Benefits
- Manuka Honey Skin Care 101
- 7 Things To Know Before You Get A Sports Massage
- Everything You Need to Know About Where The Best Coffee Beans Are Grown
- The Eco-Friendly Alternative to Plastic Wrap
- 7 Great Ways To Eat Pears This Fall
- Changing Seasons, Salad and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Healthy Summer Recipes
- Father's Day Gift Guide
- 7 manuka honey elixir recipes
- Fabulous Foodie Gifts for Mom
- Haraaz Yemeni Coffee Review
- Zealong's New Super Tea Blends
- Cool Stuff About Hot Sauce
- The Art and Science of Tea Picking and Processing at Zealong Tea Estate
- Houston Restaurant Weeks Raised Over $2 Million for The Houston Food Bank
- 9 Natural Remedies to Get You Through the Sniffle Season
- 7 Easy Festive Cocktails and Mocktails
- Still Looking For That Perfect Gift?
- Food and Gratitude: 3 Awesome Vanilla Cranberry Sauce Recipes
- Why Belixir Manuka Honey is the Best Honey for Tea
- 9 Times When You Should Use Ground Vanilla Powder Instead of Vanilla Extract
- Zealong Tea Now Available in The USA: Read Why Zealong Tea is the World's Purest Tea
- 9 healthy coconut oil recipes
- 6 reasons hot sauce is good for your health
- 11 recipes that prove vanilla is just as good savory as it is sweet
- What water does for your wine
- Why honey is on the top most fraudulent foods list
- Are you game? Warning: proceed with caution
- My 41 favorite uses for virgin coconut oil
- Have fun with your kids in the kitchen this summer (and an awesome kid-friendly banana bread recipe)
- Nature is our business (and what the people at Tahi Honey are doing about that)
- The difference between vanilla essence and vanilla extract (and how to make your own at home)
- The surprising worst and best throat lozenge ingredients
- 7 wonders from the Heilala Vanilla Plantation
- 7 researched benefits of manuka honey
- 4 out of 5 jars of manuka honey are fake