Manuka Honey Skin Care 101
January 19, 2018
We already know that New Zealand Manuka honey is great for sore throats, coughs, killing bacterial infections and is completely delicious in a cup of tea, but did you know it can also do amazing things for your skin? Check out some the reasons you should be covering your face in honey right now!
What Is Manuka?
Manuka honey is honey produced by bees in New Zealand who feed on the native Manuka plant. The Manuka plant is a flowering shrub that grows only in New Zealand. Manuka honey is at its best when it is raw. Raw honey is honey at its most natural; this means no processing, filtering, or heating. Just thick, creamy, deliciousness! Raw honey in general is pretty damn good for you, but Manuka honey has a laundry list of amazing antibacterial qualities that make it truly incredible.
Why Should I Put It On My Face?
Manuka honey is also a wonderful moisturizer because it's a natural humectant, meaning it draws moisture from the air. When you put it on your skin it draws moisture into your skin, resulting in long lasting hydration and bringing a brightness to your face. Super hydrated skin also helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles both now and in the future.
How Do I Put It On My Face?
The easiest way is to just put it on your face! Use a q-tip to dab on particular spots or grab a clean spoon and scoop a spoonful on to your face. Beware, honey can be a bit drippy, so make sure you have a washcloth nearby just in case!
Honey can be combined with a never ending range of natural items to create specialty skin care masks. Mix the ingredients then rub onto a clean face. Let sit for 15-20 minutes, then wipe off your face with a warm washcloth.
DIY skin care is a growing interest all over the internet, so there are lots of recipes available! These are my favorites:
Where Do I Get Manuka Honey?
There are a lot of places claiming to sell “authentic” Manuka honey, but it isn’t the real deal. This could hamper the amazing results! For people wanting to dip their toe in the Manuka jar, Belixir Manuka Drinking Honey MG 260 is a perfect starting place. Delicious, easy to use, and affordable enough to rub all over your face, this honey has amazing antibacterial properties.
If you’ve already drank the Manuka Honey Kool-Aid and want to really treat yo self, grab yourself a jar of the Tahi Manuka Honey UMF 20+. Not only does this Tahi honey have an incredibly high grade - meaning the antibacterial properties are off the charts - but Tahi helps preserve the New Zealand wildlife and forestry with all of their proceeds going back into conservation projects.
- How to Make an Epic Cheese or Charcuterie Board
- Celebrating International Chef's Day with Our Favorite Fall Recipes
- Honoring my Mum
- The 5 Best Iced Tea Recipes for Summer
- 5 Tips For Choosing A Healthy Breakfast Cereal
- 12 Nutty Ways to Eat Peanut Butter
- Onion Balsamic and Goat's Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- Avocado and Bacon Pasta Salad
- 10 Easy Recipes for Gluten Free Baking
- A Culinary Tour of New Zealand
- Where to Eat Like a New Zealander in the USA
- Tea History and Health Benefits
- Manuka Honey Skin Care 101
- 7 Things To Know Before You Get A Sports Massage
- Everything You Need to Know About Where The Best Coffee Beans Are Grown
- The Eco-Friendly Alternative to Plastic Wrap
- 7 Great Ways To Eat Pears This Fall
- Changing Seasons, Salad and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Healthy Summer Recipes
- Father's Day Gift Guide
- 7 manuka honey elixir recipes
- Fabulous Foodie Gifts for Mom
- Haraaz Yemeni Coffee Review
- Zealong's New Super Tea Blends
- Cool Stuff About Hot Sauce
- The Art and Science of Tea Picking and Processing at Zealong Tea Estate
- Houston Restaurant Weeks Raised Over $2 Million for The Houston Food Bank
- 9 Natural Remedies to Get You Through the Sniffle Season
- 7 Easy Festive Cocktails and Mocktails
- Still Looking For That Perfect Gift?
- Food and Gratitude: 3 Awesome Vanilla Cranberry Sauce Recipes
- Why Belixir Manuka Honey is the Best Honey for Tea
- 9 Times When You Should Use Ground Vanilla Powder Instead of Vanilla Extract
- Zealong Tea Now Available in The USA: Read Why Zealong Tea is the World's Purest Tea
- 9 healthy coconut oil recipes
- 6 reasons hot sauce is good for your health
- 11 recipes that prove vanilla is just as good savory as it is sweet
- What water does for your wine
- Why honey is on the top most fraudulent foods list
- Are you game? Warning: proceed with caution
- My 41 favorite uses for virgin coconut oil
- Have fun with your kids in the kitchen this summer (and an awesome kid-friendly banana bread recipe)
- Nature is our business (and what the people at Tahi Honey are doing about that)
- The difference between vanilla essence and vanilla extract (and how to make your own at home)
- The surprising worst and best throat lozenge ingredients
- 7 wonders from the Heilala Vanilla Plantation
- 7 researched benefits of manuka honey
- 4 out of 5 jars of manuka honey are fake