7 Easy Festive Cocktails and Mocktails
December 17, 2016
Celebrate this festive season with a creative cocktail or mix a merry mocktail for a non-alcoholic option.
These 7 super easy festive cocktails (and mocktails) creatively use vanilla syrup, home-made honey syrup or are given a kick with shot of hot sauce. Wow your guests with these mixes this holiday season.
Honey Whiskey Lemonade
This is a cool version of the classic honey and whiskey toddy. In a small saucepan bring 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup honey to boil (I recommend using New Zealand Forest Honey)
Reduce heat and add 1-2 sprigs of your favorite herb (basil, rosemary, lavendar, mint). Simmer until it has been reduced by about half (around 15 minutes). Let it cool.
Fill a short glass with ice and a shot of whiskey. Add 1/4 cup lemonade and 1/4 cup soda and 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of your honey-herb syrup to taste.
Garnish with another sprig of your chosen herb and lemons.
This recipe I found at the super cool foodie site: Foodie Crush.com
Vanilla Citrus Mocktail
This slightly tart and super refreshing mocktail would be great for a lunch or afternoon party. The kids will love this one too, especially if you're a bit heavy handed with the vanilla syrup.
Squeeze the juice from 12 limes and 5 oranges and pour into a large jug.
Cover, chill and serve cold.
Tip. use a sharp pairing knife to split the bean - a table knife won't do the job nearly as well!
New Zealand Hot Goat
I don't have enough hairs on my chest for this, but I'd definitely make this one for my Dad!
In a glass pour: 1 shot vodka (Jumping Goat Vodka is recommended), 1/2 shot white rum, 1/2 shot spiced rum, 1/3 shot Kaitaia Fire Hot Sauce and 1/3 shot orange bitters.
Stir over ice.
Garnish with orange peel and star anise.
This recipe is from Jumping Goat Liquor.com
Vanilla Lime Ginger Fizz
Raise your glass in style with this New Year Eve party drink.
Rub the rim of your cocktail glass with lime and dip the rim in vanilla sugar for a sugar frosted rim.
Place 4 - 6 cracked ice cubes, 3 tablespoons vodka, 2 tablespoons lime juice and 1 tablespoon vanilla syrup in a cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously until frost forms.
Pop a couple of extra cracked ice cubes in a tall cocktail glass and half fill with the vodka, lime and vanilla mixture.
Top with ginger beer and garnish with a lime wedge.
Honey Blackberry Mint Mocktail
Seltzer is a perfect option for those who like bubbles without booze.
In a cocktail shaker muddle together 8 fresh blackberries, 1/4 cup honey (I used this Drinking Honey) and a handful of mint leaves until completely blended.
Add the juice of one lemon and half a cup water, cover and shake.
Strain the mixture into two short glasses with ice.
Top each glass off with seltzer water.
Garnish with black berries or mint leaves.
This wonderful recipe is from Bowl of Delicious.com
You can't get easier than this simple two ingredient shot but it's certainly not for the faint hearted!
Pour a full shot of tequila.
Add half a shot of Kaitaia Fire Chili Pepper Sauce.
And 3... 2... 1... go!
It would be unwise to turn this into a competition. Keep the egos in check people!
Pineapple Vanilla Tequila
This one requires a bit of planning ahead but if you get started at Christmas it will be ready by New Year's Eve.
Sterilize a large 2 liter wide-necked bottle and leave to cool.
Skin the pineapple making sure all of the eyes are removed. Remove and discard the central core and chop the pineapple into small enough pieces to fit into the neck of the bottle. When the bottle is cool, pop in the pineapple pieces in with a whole split vanilla bean.
Place a liter of white tequila in a jug and mix in 1/4 cup brown sugar. When the sugar is completely dissolved, pour the mixture into your bottle over the pineapple and vanilla bean.
Seal the bottle and give it a swirl a couple of times a day for a week before drinking.
Cheers, and Happy Holidays!
- How to Make an Epic Cheese or Charcuterie Board
- Celebrating International Chef's Day with Our Favorite Fall Recipes
- Honoring my Mum
- The 5 Best Iced Tea Recipes for Summer
- 5 Tips For Choosing A Healthy Breakfast Cereal
- 12 Nutty Ways to Eat Peanut Butter
- Onion Balsamic and Goat's Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- Avocado and Bacon Pasta Salad
- 10 Easy Recipes for Gluten Free Baking
- A Culinary Tour of New Zealand
- Where to Eat Like a New Zealander in the USA
- Tea History and Health Benefits
- Manuka Honey Skin Care 101
- 7 Things To Know Before You Get A Sports Massage
- Everything You Need to Know About Where The Best Coffee Beans Are Grown
- The Eco-Friendly Alternative to Plastic Wrap
- 7 Great Ways To Eat Pears This Fall
- Changing Seasons, Salad and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Healthy Summer Recipes
- Father's Day Gift Guide
- 7 manuka honey elixir recipes
- Fabulous Foodie Gifts for Mom
- Haraaz Yemeni Coffee Review
- Zealong's New Super Tea Blends
- Cool Stuff About Hot Sauce
- The Art and Science of Tea Picking and Processing at Zealong Tea Estate
- Houston Restaurant Weeks Raised Over $2 Million for The Houston Food Bank
- 9 Natural Remedies to Get You Through the Sniffle Season
- 7 Easy Festive Cocktails and Mocktails
- Still Looking For That Perfect Gift?
- Food and Gratitude: 3 Awesome Vanilla Cranberry Sauce Recipes
- Why Belixir Manuka Honey is the Best Honey for Tea
- 9 Times When You Should Use Ground Vanilla Powder Instead of Vanilla Extract
- Zealong Tea Now Available in The USA: Read Why Zealong Tea is the World's Purest Tea
- 9 healthy coconut oil recipes
- 6 reasons hot sauce is good for your health
- 11 recipes that prove vanilla is just as good savory as it is sweet
- What water does for your wine
- Why honey is on the top most fraudulent foods list
- Are you game? Warning: proceed with caution
- My 41 favorite uses for virgin coconut oil
- Have fun with your kids in the kitchen this summer (and an awesome kid-friendly banana bread recipe)
- Nature is our business (and what the people at Tahi Honey are doing about that)
- The difference between vanilla essence and vanilla extract (and how to make your own at home)
- The surprising worst and best throat lozenge ingredients
- 7 wonders from the Heilala Vanilla Plantation
- 7 researched benefits of manuka honey
- 4 out of 5 jars of manuka honey are fake